I did this project successfully with my after school art class which is a mixture of 1th-6th grade students. They LOVED this project!
Supplies: Aluminum sheets- 36 gauge, foam sheets, wooden dowel rods-sharpened or dull pencils, permanent markers, Optional: embossing plates & tools
|The tools we use in class are from DickBlick- Ten Seconds Studio Metal Tools-here’s the link to them:http://www.dickblick.com/products/ten-seconds-studio-metal-tools/ |
We have both the basic tools & the texture sets. They work great & are worth the investment! We also have texture plates for rubbing-from Fiskar-I think they are supposed to go in a cuddlebug, but we don’t use that we just put the metal ontop of the plate & rub with the crochet tools or tortillions.
Less expensive options are crochet or knitting tools & wooden sticks (only if it is a thick metal)
Project: Repousse-Foil Embossing
Video Tutorial: Repousse – Foil Embossing Techniques
- Cut aluminum foil in desired shape using regular scissors.
- Trace the outline of the ornament onto a sheet of paper. Draw designs & patterns onto the paper.
- Cut the shape out & tape it to the aluminum.
- Place foam sheet under the aluminum. This is vital for the embossing process!
- Trace over all your lines with a pencil. This will dent in the aluminum.
- Flip the aluminum over & visually make sure you’ve trace all the lines.
- Remove the paper from the aluminum & use the embossing supplies to further emboss the metal.
- After you have finished embossing, use the permanent markers to color the aluminum.
If you choose to use this lesson or to repost it, please link it back to my blog. Create Art with ME