Watercolor & India Ink Project
My Beyond The Border project is geared toward middle school art & high school art classes although could be modified to upper elementary art. The placement of the focal point is important in this project, so we used the Rule of Thirds to place our focal point. Putting it here made it more natural for the subject to extend out into the borders. We also reviewed Watercolor Painting Techniques and pen & ink techniques.
Objective: Create a 2D mixed media art piece that explores the expansion of the main subject matter that is in the inner rectangle branching into the border around it-going beyond the border. The main subject should remain in color, but everything else turns black & white outside the main rectangle.
- Choose on your subject matter (suggestions: butterflies, insects (colorful), birds, sea animals-with flowing fins or tentacles, flowers, candy (spilled candy!), ).
- In your sketchbook, draw a rough sketch of your design. Place your focal point in the Rule of Thirds. (Quiz Grade)
- Start with the outside border, then draw an interior rectangle.
- Creatively & selectively expand part of your design onto to the outside border.
- When you have your final design approved by me, you may begin on the final paper.
- Begin LIGHTLY drawing your interior rectangle by measuring 3 1/2” in from each side.
- Draw your main subject matter in lightly.
- Add your back ground extending ONLY PART of it to the edges of the paper. (visually, I recommend at least 3 sides)
- Paint your main subject with watercolors.
- Apply India ink to the subject matter (outline & add details) & to the area beyond the border (this part will ONLY be black & white- can use hatching & cross-hatching, stippling or other Pen & Ink Techniques to show value changes & textures).
If you choose to use this lesson, please reference back to www.CreateArtwithME.com as this is my original lesson. Let me know how the project goes for you or any alterations/improvements you made- I am ALWAYS trying to improve my lessons for the students!!