Complementary Colors Lesson
- Students will review the color wheel and identify primary, secondary, and tertiary (intermediate) colors.
- Students will define and identify complementary colors.
- Optional: Students will review mixing colors to make all the hues on the color wheel
- Color Wheel: organized into 3 main groups:
- Primary: (red, yellow, blue)
- Secondary: (green, orange, purple: made by mixing 2 primary colors together)
- Tertiary or Intermediate: (yellow-orange, red-orange, red-violet, blue-violet, blue-green, yellow-green: made by mixing one primary color together with one secondary color).
2. Complementary colors are colors that are directly opposite from each other on the color wheel.
- Primary colors are always complemented with a Secondary color.
- Intermediate colors are always complemented with an Intermediate color.
Yellow & Violet Red & Green Yellow-Orange & Blue-Violet
Activity: Complementary Colors Worksheet
Students will complete the Complementary Color Worksheet (print on cardstock or heavy paper). Students can use pre-mixed colors or a better option is to have them mix their own colors. This worksheet can be completed with various mediums (paint or pastels, even colored pencil).
If you choose to use this lesson or to repost it (written info or photos), please link it back to my blog. Create Art with ME