UPDATED! This 9 page lesson plan with student worksheets is perfect for 4th-12 grade and is a great introduction to any value or charcoal lesson. It is so important that students understand what a medium can do, this lesson will teach students some of the possibilities that charcoal is capable of.
- Learn about the element of art called value.
- Learn various techniques using the medium of charcoal and rendering with value.
- Review the 5 Elements of Shading: Highlight, Shade, Shadow, Reflected Light and Cast Shadow.
- Demonstrate understanding of shading techniques by rendering two-dimensional shapes so that they appear realistically three-dimensional.
Types of Strokes
- Edge or Tip
Creating Value Scales (with sticks and pencils)
- Optical Blending: (hatching or cross-hatching)
- Pressure Strokes
- Your finger
- Paper Stumps & Tortillons
- Kneaded Erasers and Chamois Leather
Practice Shading Many Forms
© Michelle C. East www.CreateArtwithME.com
NEW-PVC PIPES & LEGO Practice!